Yes, this is indeed the way it might work!
Tag Archives: Social media apps
A superb keynote from Charles Stross, opening this year’s ‘Chaos Communication Congress’.
Yet more hidden dangers in emerging technology in the hands of technocapitalism!
2 Comments | tags: Data apps, Privacy, Social impact of technology, Social media apps, Technocapitalism, Technology corporations | posted in Computer Science, Computing, Philosophy, Politics, Programming, Software
The arguments about ‘abstract art’ (compared with ‘real’ art) rage on. But could we soon be having similar debates about data? Or has it already happened?
(The first part of this post is deliberately written from the point of view of an analytic treatment of art. If you’re going to scream, ‘No, you can’t reduce it to that!’, then it’s not aimed at you – but ‘sorry’, anyway.)
‘Abstract art’, sometimes ‘modern art’, divides people. To some, it’s the pinnacle of human achievement, the height of our civilisation; setting us spiritually apart from the functional necessity of other species. To others, it’s a pointless diversion; an excuse for people who can’t read, write or add up to feel worthwhile about themselves and give each other awards and qualifications.
Leave a comment | tags: Automation and unemployment, Big Data, Data algorithms, Data apps, Social media apps, Technocapitalism | posted in Algorithms, Computer Science, Computing, Philosophy, Politics, Software
Find in the files
On the desk
- “San Francisco is first US city to ban facial recognition“ Wednesday 15th May 2019
- April Fools and Fair Weather Managers Monday 1st April 2019
- Incompleteness, Inconsistency and Those Pesky Words! Friday 1st March 2019
- Alan Turing is the ‘Greatest Icon of the 20th Century’ Wednesday 6th February 2019
- You’re Not My Dad! (The Kettle Said So) Friday 25th January 2019
- Call for Papers: ‘The End of Privacy?’ Friday 28th December 2018
- Repeat: Christmas, Until … Monday 24th December 2018
- No More Privacy Any More? (Just putting this out there) Friday 16th November 2018
- ‘CONSCIOUS’ Has a New Website Thursday 18th October 2018
- And So It Begins? Monday 1st October 2018
In the drawers
Under the lamp
Towards the back
Around the room