OK, this blog has made some pretty wild predictions over the years; from loss of privacy & security, through societal decay from social media & 24/7 connectivity, mass unemployment by AI & automation, to industrial environmental catastrophe and a technocapitalist Armageddon. Now there’s clear evidence of the first of these forecasts coming true, any chance of taking any of the others seriously? Maybe before it’s too late might be a good idea?
Tag Archives: Social impact of technology
Leave a comment | tags: Emerging technologies, Face recognition, Privacy, Social impact of technology, Technocapitalism | posted in Algorithms, Computer Science, Computing, Philosophy, Politics, Software
A superb keynote from Charles Stross, opening this year’s ‘Chaos Communication Congress’.
Yet more hidden dangers in emerging technology in the hands of technocapitalism!
2 Comments | tags: Data apps, Privacy, Social impact of technology, Social media apps, Technocapitalism, Technology corporations | posted in Computer Science, Computing, Philosophy, Politics, Programming, Software
Find in the files
On the desk
- Turing Test for Dogs Monday 2nd September 2019
- Swarm Thickness Tuesday 6th August 2019
- Can AI Get Too Clever? Monday 1st July 2019
- How to Win a Social Media Argument Wednesday 5th June 2019
- “San Francisco is first US city to ban facial recognition“ Wednesday 15th May 2019
- April Fools and Fair Weather Managers Monday 1st April 2019
- Incompleteness, Inconsistency and Those Pesky Words! Friday 1st March 2019
- Alan Turing is the ‘Greatest Icon of the 20th Century’ Wednesday 6th February 2019
- You’re Not My Dad! (The Kettle Said So) Friday 25th January 2019
- Call for Papers: ‘The End of Privacy?’ Friday 28th December 2018
In the drawers
Under the lamp
Towards the back
Around the room